If you are going to visit a city and you have a bit limited time for it, I suggest that you dedicate just a few minutes before your trip in order to organize it in the best possible way. Thus, you will not find yourself in a position to regret afterwards the missed opportunity of seeing something beautiful.
- In your favorite browser, search for the top 10 or 20 sights or attractions to visit in that particular place. You can make the itinerary based on your own preferences. Instead of searching for the top 10 sights to see, you can search for the best museums, restaurants, shops, buildings, galleries…
- Upon doing that, try to find those places on the map you have, or on your computer, copying and pasting its name in the search box.
- Mark them with a flag or a star.
- Connect those stars creating a line or a circle, which will ensure that you never duplicate the walking distance.
- Print it or save it to your phone.
Once you are there, just follow the order of your marks. If your itinerary is linear, try to start from any of its ends. If it is circular, which I highly recommend, you can choose any position to start with, and it will be your final destination, as well.